Most people thing of eating raw salads when they think of eating greens. Of course that is a great option. However, if you are looking for a warm dish that includes greens then try this recipe of mine below. It’s very easy to make your greens tasty by adding a few simple ingredients to it.
Adding the right spices, seeds, oils and fresh lemon at the correct time when cooking greens can enhance its flavours and help in easy digestion.
In this recipe, I use Lacinato kale, only because it’s my most favourite greens. However, you can use any greens you like or have available in your fridge. I have tried this recipe with different greens such as chard, collard, beet greens, kohlrabi greens and they all taste absolutely delicious. No matter which greens you use, the secret is NOT to over cook your greens. it needs to stay firm and crunchy to taste good, not soggy and limp 🙂 !
Watch this short video below to see how quick and easy it is to make these side dish or appetizer.
Garlicky Sautéed Greens
- 1 Vitamix Blender
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale (greens such as chard, collard. beet greens, kohlrabi can also be used)
- 8 pods garlic (I'm a garlic girl :)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (raw not roasted )
- 2 tbsp grated lemon rind (grate rind from 1 firm lemon)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (omit if you don't like spice)
- 1 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt (use as per your taste)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (you can use any oil)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Chop garlic in a small blender or by hand
- Grate lemon rind from 1 lemon
- Wash and chop the greens you are using
- Cut 1 lemon into half to squeeze fresh lemon juice
- Turn on heat, place cast iron pan on heat. Once hot, add oil and heat. Add garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute, add chilli flakes stir frying for another minute. Add in the greens, such as kale and toss well for about 2 minutes, then add the grated lemon rind and salt to taste and toss for another minute. Turn off heat and finally add sesame seeds and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Serve warm as a side dish with your favourite protein. This is also s a great appetizer served with sourdough bread.Delicious with rice and dal as well.