These delicious vegan raw caramel chocolate squares are refined sugar free, gluten free, no baking, and absolutely delicious. All you need are 5 ingredients and a food processor.
I’m not sure if you can use a blender vs a food processor., I haven’t tried blending, but perhaps it could work if you have a pulse feature on your blender.
I created these little treats, because I love having chocolate daily and wanted to always have available at hand. They are unbelievably good if you use home made almond butter. I make a delicious home made almond butter and will post a recipe soon on how to make the best home made almond butter, with just almonds nothing else not even salt.
However, store bought will also work, just make sure there isn’t too much salt and additives in your store bought nut butter. I have not tried these with any other nut butter, but I assume they will be really tasty with peanut butter as well.
I find Canadian winters long and hard. To make my indoors a bit tropical (until I have to live here), I grow different tropical flowering plants in my attic. The edible flowers I use to decorate these squares were grown in my attic this winter. I dry the flowers when they are about to fall off and store them in parchment paper to use to decorate my baking and other treats and make cards.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make. The steps are simple and very easy to follow. You can double or triple the recipe if you like, as these are frozen and stay good for 4 weeks. They taste best frozen if you are going to dip them in chocolate. But if you just make the caramel date squares then you don’t have to freeze them. I store the caramel squares in the fridge in an air tight container and the chocolate covered caramel squares in the freezer and serve frozen.
These are so good, I have to hide them in the freezer so my teenagers and all their friends don’t eat them all! Give them a try my friends, this will become your most favourite chocolate to have daily.
Vitamix Dessert Recipe: Raw Vegan Caramel and Chocolate Squares
- 3 cups soft pitted dates (medjool dates are best)
- 4 tbsp almond butter (home made is best)
- 5 tsps coconut oil (keep aside 1 tsp to mix into the melted chocolate)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 300 gms dark chocolate block ( I use 70% – you can also use chocolate chips)
- Place all the above ingredients, (except the dark chocolate and 1 tsp of coconut oil) into a food processor
- Turn your food processor on low and then increase it slowly to high, till all the ingredients breaks downs and comes together
- Line a baking pan or a freezer freindly pan with parchment paper and press the caramel mixture firmly into the pan, to form a 1 inch thick even layer. Cover and freeze again for 30 minutes
- While the squares are freezing, cut up your dark chocolate block into smaller piece and melt over a double boiler or in the microwave (if you are using a microwave, melt 15 seconds then mix, and keep doing this till compleletly melted). When melted add 1 tsp coconut oil and dip your caramle squares so they are coated in the chocolate sauce. Tap off any extra chocolate and place on parchment paper to set. Decorate with sea salt and edible flowers if you have any
- Store in an air tight container in the freezer till you are ready to serve. These taste best if they are eaten frozen and within three weeks to a month. If you keep them as caramel date squares then store in the fridge