Chickpeas is a key ingredient in Indian cuisine. It is made into curries, various snack dishes, different varieties of street food, flat bread and much much more.
Approximately over half of India’s population is vegetarian, they depend heavily on this legume amongst others to get their protein source met and have created numerous delicious recipes with this legume. I have seen first hand the many creative and different ways how chickpeas has gone from a bland legume to a dish that’s unrecognizable and delicious and so satisfying.
Below is one such recipe I created, inspired from street food in India. It’s easy to make and very tasty. Give it a try and you will keep making this again and again.
Vegetable & Chickpea Patties
- Cutting board
- 1 large cup steamed & chopped broccoli
- 1 large cup steamed & chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 5/6 pods of fresh garlic
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder or 2/3 fresh red chillies depending on how spicy you like it
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Blend all of the above on low speed in any blender (I use my Vitamix food processor, but you can use a blender on low speed as well, be carefull not to overblend though)
- Form into patties
- Pan fry with a little avocado oil or any raw cold pressed vegetable oil
- Serve with a green salad and a side of guacamole!