Most people love pie and pumpkin pie is a favourite. Especially when the seasons change and cold weather brings with it an abundance of cucurbitaceae family vegetables and fruits. If you like pumpkin pie, then I encourage you to try this pie recipe of mine using butternut squash puree, instead of pumpkin puree. Butternut squash has a really nice taste to it when baked, it’s also a little sweeter than pumpkins, this allows you to add less sugar when making this pie.
It’s really easy to make your own butternut squash puree, all you do is wash the squash, chop in half, remove seeds, oil slightly, turn face down and bake till soft.
Once baked, puree the flesh and you have butternut squash puree to use in your favourite recipes, such as pies, soups, curries and more. You can even freeze the extra in ice cube trays to add later to cooking or for blending.
You can also buy pureed squash in a can if you are short of time. Just make sure there are no spices, additives or preservatives add to the canned or store bought butternut squash puree.
If you don’t have butternut squash available where you live, use pumpkins. This recipe works really well with pumpkins as well. I like using butternut squash, mainly for its rich, nutty taste. As well, butternut squash, contains more Vitamin A and C than pumpkins. Plus it contains double the amount of iron and fiber. It also contains magnesium, potassium and vitamin E. It is however a complex carbohydrate and weighs higher in calories than pumpkins.
This pie is so delicious, you don’t need to add much sugar or eat it with whipped cream or ice cream. It’s truly scrumptious just on its own. Watch the short video below to see how easy it is to whip up this pie from scratch.
I included a pie crust recipe, if you have more time and would like to make the pie crust. If not buy a good quality store bought pie crust and follow the recipe below. I promise you, you will make this again and again.
Vitamix Butternut Squash Pie
- 1 Vitamix Blender
- 1 Vitamix Food Processor
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (can use pumpkin puree as well)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 cup full cream (I used 18% cream, that's what I had in my fridge)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder (use 1/8 tsp if you don't like cloves or omit)
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder (use 1/8 tsp if you don't like cloves or omit)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (use 1/8 tsp if you don't like cloves or omit)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder (use 1/8 tsp if you don't like cloves or omit)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Home Made Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I have also tried it with wholewheat flour and it works well)
- 1 1/2 tsp cane sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp cold butter cut into small pieces (I have tried this with vegan butter and it works well)
- 1 tbsp cold vinegar (regular vinegar is best)
- 3 tbsp cold water ( make sure its ice cold)
- First begin by making the dough. If you are using store bough dough, then skip this step altogether.Add flour, sugar, salt and cold butter to the 12 cup Vitamix food processor, close lid, turn on machine allowing to run till dough becomes crumbly. While the motor is running add in the vinegar and water gradually, allowing it to all come together. Don't keep he machine running for too long. Turn off machine and remove dough. Bring the dough altogether into a ball and make into a disk shape, wrap in butter paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap. Keep in fridge for about 1 to 2 hours before rolling out. In the mean time prepare the pie crust filling.
- If you are using canned pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree, then skip his step altogether.Cut butter squash in half, remove seeds, oil slightly , turn face down and roast in oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until the flesh is soft, approximately 45 to 50 minutes (depending on your oven). Once roasted, allow to cool and remove flesh, place flesh in Vitamix blender and blender till it's a puree. Now you have butternut squash puree to make a pie or to use for soups. You can freeze in ice cube trays and use later, if you have extra.
- To a Vitamix blender, add in all your ingredients – butternut squash puree, sugar, cream, eggs and spices, blend ever so slightly on variable 2, just to combine. Pour into your pie crust
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 to 50 minute. If you find the middle of the pie is getting too dark, cover lightly with some baking paper.
- Allow to cool on counter top, slice and enjoy on its own or with ice cream, cashew cream or whipped cream.