Have you ever tried making raw tomato soup. If you haven’t give this a try. It gets heated right in the Vitamix blender, no additional cooking required. If you don’t have a Vitamix blender and can’t heat your soup in your blender, then perhaps heat the soup after blending in a pot on the stove top. I haven’t tried it so Im honestly not sure how it will taste.
This raw tomato soup, is blended for 6 minutes in a Vitamix blender, using simple ingredients to produce a tasty hot soup. All you do is add the ingredients as per my recipe below to a Vitamix blender, blend on high speed, and you have a hot tomato soup. No need to cook or bake the tomatoes prior to blending for this recipe.
I use fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs vs canned tomatoes and dried herbs that most recipes call for when making a raw tomato soup. Because you are not cooking the soup, using fresh herbs will complement the raw tomatoes. Add as little or as much unsweetened almond milk or water, depending on how thick you want your soup to be. The sun-dried tomatoes, raw onions and garlic give it a very distinct and strong taste. Top each bowl of this raw soup with cashew cream to round out the edges of the rawness of the tomatoes.
In all honestly, I personally prefer a cooked tomato soup vs raw. In the late summer months, when tomatoes are abundant and very ripe, I make raw and cooked tomato soup. If you are looking for a cooked tomato soup, here is a delicious recipe. ABSOLUTELY fantastic, you will be licking your bowl and your fingers – guaranteed!
I eat this raw tomato soup with gnocchi, You can also eat it with garlic bread. This raw soup is a bit over powering to have on its owns, unless you top it with cashew cream or sour cream (if you eat dairy) or eat it the way I have with fresh pasta.
Vitamix Tomato Soup Recipe: How to make raw tomato soup
- 10 ripe tomatoes (roma is best but you can use any tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp tomatoe paste
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomatoes (oil-packed and drianed)
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot (dont use more as the flavour is strong)
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tsp sea salt (as per your taste)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- Add all the above ingredients (except basil) to a Vitamix blender and blend starting on Variable 1 and moving to Variable 10, slowly. If your Vitamix blender has a soup setting use that instead.
- Blend for 6 minutes straight on Variable 10
- Turn off the blender after 6 minutes, the soup will be hot when you open the lid. The Vitamix blender has a venting system that allows you to make hot soup in it.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with fresh basil leaves and eat with bread or gnocci