(Full disclosure: if you buy through some of the links on this page, I will earn a small commission. But don’t worry – you won’t pay any more than if you ordered directly from the merchant’s website! And your purchase helps me keep BecomeVegetarian.org a free resource.)
Making peanut butter at home is a great way to enjoy a fresh, healthy spread that can be used in a variety of recipes. If you own a Vitamix, you have everything you need to make homemade peanut butter that is delicious, nutritious, and affordable. With just a few simple steps, you can have a jar of creamy or crunchy peanut butter that is free from additives, preservatives, and excess sugar.
To make peanut butter in a Vitamix, you only need a few ingredients and some basic equipment. The process is straightforward and can be customized to your taste preferences. Whether you like your peanut butter smooth or chunky, sweet or salty, you can adjust the recipe to suit your needs. Plus, making your own peanut butter allows you to control the quality of the ingredients, which can be especially important if you have dietary restrictions or allergies.
If you’re ready to try making peanut butter in your Vitamix, keep reading for a step-by-step guide that will help you get started. From choosing the right peanuts to adding flavor and texture, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make delicious homemade peanut butter.
Ingredients and Equipment
Making peanut butter in a Vitamix is a simple process that requires only a few ingredients and pieces of equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Peanuts: You’ll need about 2-4 cups of roasted, unsalted peanuts to make a batch of peanut butter. You can use any type of peanuts you like, but make sure they’re fresh and not rancid.
- Oil (optional): Adding oil to your peanut butter can help achieve a smoother, creamier texture. You can use any neutral-tasting oil, such as vegetable or canola oil.
- Salt (optional): Adding a pinch of salt can enhance the flavor of your peanut butter.
- Honey (optional): For a touch of sweetness, you can add honey to your peanut butter.
- Vanilla extract (optional): Adding a splash of vanilla extract can give your peanut butter a subtle, sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon (optional): Adding a pinch of cinnamon can give your peanut butter a warm, spicy flavor.
- Chia seeds (optional): Adding chia seeds can give your peanut butter a nutritional boost and add a bit of texture.
- Cocoa powder (optional): Adding cocoa powder can turn your peanut butter into a chocolatey treat.
- Vitamix blender: You’ll need a high-powered blender like a Vitamix to make peanut butter. A regular blender or food processor may not be powerful enough to handle the thick, sticky mixture.
- Tamper accessory: A tamper accessory can help you push the peanuts down towards the blades and ensure that everything gets blended evenly.
- Baking sheet: You’ll need a baking sheet to roast your peanuts if they’re not already roasted.
- Spatula: A spatula can help you scrape the peanut butter out of the blender and into a jar.
- Glass jar: You’ll need a jar or container to store your peanut butter in.
- Dish soap: You’ll need dish soap to clean your blender and accessories after you’re done making peanut butter.
Now that you have your ingredients and equipment ready, it’s time to start making peanut butter!
Preparing the Peanuts
When making peanut butter in a Vitamix, the first step is to prepare the peanuts. This involves roasting the peanuts and removing the skins. Properly preparing the peanuts will ensure a smooth and creamy peanut butter.
Roasting the Peanuts
To roast the peanuts, I start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Then, I spread the raw peanuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Roasting the peanuts brings out their natural oils and enhances their flavor.
It is important to keep an eye on the peanuts while they are roasting to avoid overheating. Overheating the peanuts can cause them to become burnt and bitter. I recommend checking on the peanuts every few minutes and stirring them to ensure even roasting.
Removing the Skins
Once the peanuts are roasted and cooled , the next step is to remove the skins. Removing the skins will result in a smoother and creamier peanut butter. To remove the skins, I place the roasted peanuts in a clean kitchen towel and rub them together until the skins come off.
Another method to remove the skins is to use a colander. I place the roasted peanuts in a colander and shake it gently until the skins fall off. It is important to remove as many skins as possible to ensure the smoothest peanut butter possible.
Properly preparing the peanuts is crucial to making delicious peanut butter in a Vitamix. Roasting the peanuts brings out their natural oils and enhances their flavor, while removing the skins results in a smoother and creamier peanut butter. However, if you don’t have time to roast the raw peanuts before you make your peanut butter, then you can buy roasted unsalted peanuts. Remember thought most roasted store bought peanuts have salt in them and can be quite old. This will affect the taste of your peanut butter.
Making the Peanut Butter
Making peanut butter in a Vitamix is incredibly easy and satisfying. All you need are some roasted peanuts and a high-speed blender like the Vitamix. Here’s how to make creamy, smooth peanut butter in a Vitamix.
Blending the Peanuts
First, add 2-4 cups of roasted, unsalted peanuts to the Vitamix container. Secure the lid and start the blender on its lowest speed. Quickly increase the speed to the highest setting, using the tamper to press the peanuts towards the blades. In about a minute, you will hear a high-pitched chugging sound, and the peanut butter will be ready.
If you prefer salted peanut butter, you can add a pinch of salt to the Vitamix container before blending. For a sweeter peanut butter, you can add honey, maple syrup, or dates. For a nuttier flavor, you can add some roasted almonds, cashews, or hazelnuts.
Adding Extra Ingredients
Once you have blended the peanuts into a smooth, creamy consistency, you can add extra ingredients to customize your peanut butter. Here are some ideas:
- Cinnamon: Add a pinch of cinnamon for a warm, spicy flavor.
- Vanilla: Add a few drops of vanilla extract for a sweet, fragrant flavor.
- Cocoa Powder: Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder for a chocolatey twist.
- Chia Seeds: Stir in some chia seeds for a crunchy texture and added nutrition.
You can also experiment with other nuts, seeds, and sweeteners to create your own unique peanut butter recipe. Homemade nut butter is a great way to avoid processed, store-bought versions that often contain added sugars and preservatives.
Making your own nut butter in a Vitamix is a fun and easy process that yields delicious, natural nut butter that is perfect for spreading on toast, dipping with fruit, or adding to smoothies. Below is a video of me making almond butter. Follow these steps to make any butter you like – peanut butter, almond butter, macadamia nut butter, walnut butter, or a combination of a few different nuts to make your own creation. Remember, the key is to roast raw nuts (whichever nuts you’re using), just for 10 minutes on 350 degrees Fahrenheit, watching closely not to bunt the nuts, allow to cool completely and then blend in a high powered blender such as the Vitamix.
Tips and Tricks
When it comes to making peanut butter in a Vitamix, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you achieve the perfect texture and flavor. Here are some things I’ve learned:
- Texture is everything. To get the perfect texture, start by blending the peanuts on the lowest speed for about 30 seconds, then gradually increase to the highest speed. Use the tamper to push the peanuts towards the blades. Stop blending once the peanut butter is smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate for best results. Homemade peanut butter can be stored at room temperature, but it’s best to refrigerate it to keep it fresh and prevent it from going rancid. Store it in an airtight container to prevent moisture from getting in.
- Stir before use. Over time, the oil in the peanut butter can separate from the solids. Before using the peanut butter, give it a good stir to mix everything back together.
- Store-bought nuts work well. You don’t have to roast your own nuts to make homemade peanut butter. Store-bought roasted, unsalted peanuts work just as well.
- Add some variety. If you want to switch things up, try adding some pumpkin, hemp, or flaxseed oil to your peanut butter for added nutrition. You can also add some shredded coconut or a sweetener like honey or maple syrup for a different flavor.
- Roasting adds flavor. If you want to add a roasted flavor to your peanut butter, roast the nuts in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes before blending.
- Use roasted salted peanuts for a salty flavor. If you prefer a salty flavor, use roasted salted peanuts instead of unsalted.
- Clean your Vitamix immediately. Peanut butter can be difficult to clean out of the Vitamix container. To make cleaning easier, make a smoothie with whatever is left over in the Vitamix container by adding any milk of choice and fresh or frozen fruit and blend well. After you ahev poured out your smoothie, add a bit of water to the container and a drop of dish detergent and blend, starting on low and then increasing the speed to high for about 30 seconds or so.. This method allows your container to act like a washing machine and removes any left over peanut butter from the sides of the blender or under the blades. Throw out the water and rinse the container immediately. Watch this short video on how I clean my Vitamix container after making nut butter.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make delicious homemade peanut butter in your Vitamix with ease. For more information and recipe ideas, check out Vitamix’s peanut butter recipe or This Healthy Kitchen’s homemade peanut butter recipe.
Nutrition and Health Benefits
As someone who is health-conscious, I am always looking for ways to incorporate nutritious foods into my diet. Peanut butter is a great option for a plant-based snack that is packed with protein, healthy fats, and other essential nutrients.
When making peanut butter in a Vitamix, you have the option to use different types of peanuts, including roasted or unsalted, depending on your preference. Roasted peanuts have a richer flavor, while unsalted peanuts are lower in sodium. Either way, you’re getting a healthy snack that is high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
One of the best things about making peanut butter in a Vitamix is that you have control over the ingredients. You can add honey, cinnamon, or other natural sweeteners to enhance the flavor without adding processed sugars. Additionally, you can add chia seeds, flax seeds, or other superfoods to boost the nutritional value of your peanut butter.
Peanut butter is also a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage, while magnesium is essential for bone health and muscle function. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and supports heart health.
Overall, making peanut butter in a Vitamix is a great way to enjoy a healthy, plant-based snack that is packed with nutrients. With the ability to control the ingredients, you can customize your peanut butter to your liking and enjoy the many health benefits that it provides.
Recipes and Serving Ideas
Making peanut butter in a Vitamix is super easy and quick, and once you have a jar of homemade peanut butter, the possibilities are endless! Here are some of my favorite recipes and serving ideas:
Spreads and Sandwiches
One of the most obvious ways to enjoy peanut butter is on a sandwich! Spread it on bread with some jelly or honey for a classic PB&J, or mix it up with some banana slices and dates for a more adventurous sandwich. You can also use peanut butter as a dip for apples, celery, or pretzels. I love topping my nut butter with pomegranate seeds.
Smoothies and Ice Cream
Peanut butter adds a delicious nutty flavor and creaminess to smoothies and ice cream. Try blending some peanut butter with frozen bananas, almond milk, and a dash of cinnamon for a healthy and satisfying smoothie. Or mix some peanut butter into your favorite ice cream recipe for a decadent treat.
Baking and Cooking
Peanut butter is a versatile ingredient in baking and cooking. Try adding it to pancake or waffle batter for a nutty twist on breakfast. You can also mix some peanut butter into your favorite cookie or brownie recipe for a rich and indulgent treat. And don’t forget about savory dishes – peanut butter can add depth and flavor to stir-fries, sauces, and dressings.
Other Nut Butters
If you’re feeling adventurous, try making other nut butters in your Vitamix! Pistachios, brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, and macadamia nuts can all be turned into delicious spreads. Just follow the same steps as for peanut butter, and experiment with different flavor combinations.
Overall, making peanut butter in a Vitamix is a great way to enjoy a fresh, healthy, and delicious spread. Whether you’re using it in sweet or savory dishes, or just enjoying it on a spoon, homemade peanut butter is a treat that everyone can enjoy.
Here is additional information on everything you need to know about making nut butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the steps to make peanut butter in a Vitamix?
To make peanut butter in a Vitamix, you need to add peanuts to the container and blend them until they turn into a smooth and creamy consistency. Use the tamper to push the peanuts down into the middle where the blade is as they get pushed up the sides of the blender. The whole process takes about 1 to 2 minutes.
What ingredients do I need to make peanut butter in a Vitamix?
To make peanut butter in a Vitamix, you need peanuts, and that’s it! You can also add optional sea salt, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon, or cardamom to sweeten or flavor your peanut butter.
Can I make peanut butter in a Vitamix without a wet or dry container?
Yes, you can make peanut butter in a Vitamix without a wet or dry container. The standard container that comes with most Vitamix models is versatile enough to handle making nut butters.
What is the best recipe for peanut butter in a Vitamix?
There is no one “best” recipe for peanut butter in a Vitamix. You can customize your peanut butter recipe to your liking by adding sweeteners or spices. You can use raw or roasted peanuts and even experiment with other nuts like almonds, cashews, or hazelnuts.
Is it possible to make honey peanut butter in a Vitamix?
Yes, you can make honey peanut butter in a Vitamix. Add honey to your peanut butter recipe by starting small with a teaspoon of honey, and adjust to your desired sweetness level.
How do I clean my Vitamix after making peanut butter?
Cleaning your Vitamix after making peanut butter is easy. I suggest making a smoothie with what remains in the container of the Viramix. Then, rinse the container with warm water immediately after making your smoothie. Then, fill the container halfway with warm water and a drop of dish soap. Run the blender on high for 30 seconds, then rinse the container and blades with warm water. You can also use a brush to scrub any stubborn peanut butter residue. Watch my video to see how I clean my Vitamix container after making nut butter.
For more information on making peanut butter in a Vitamix, check out these sources: