Sorbet is a frozen desert that is very easy to make yourself, requires only a few ingredients and very little time to make. You can make any kind of fruit sorbet by freezing over-ripe fruit and then adding only a few ingredients to it to make it sweet, and tangy. when blending. Generally, I will add a bit of maple syrup, and fresh lemon or lime juice to my frozen fruit. If the fruit I’m using is very ripe and sweet, I will omit adding any maple syrup. All you need is a good high powered blender or a food processor – like the Vitamix blender or food processor.
You can follow my recipe below and use any frozen fruit you like or combine two fruits of choice. When freezing your fruit, make sure that it’s ripe and chopped in small cubes before you freeze in individual layers. I like to freeze my fruit in single layers in ziplock bags. You can see in this video how I freeze fruit and veggies to use in desserts and smoothies.
For this recipe, I froze 3 cups of watermelon in a single layer in a container with a lid, however it takes up a lot of space in my tiny freezer, ziplock bags are therefore better.
After I make the sorbet, I will serve it fresh to everyone who is at home. When I have extras I freeze and use within 2 weeks. I find though, it tastes much better freshly made. Sometimes if I have too much I will freeze the sorbet into ice cube trays and use over still or sparkling water or in cocktails or morktails.
Watermelon is a relatively cheap fruit to purchase, so I suggest using this fruit to test out making sorbet if you have never made home-made sorbet. You only need three frozen cups of cubed watermelon, so 1/2 of a small watermelon or 1/4 of a large sized melon.
I have two teenage boys and all their friends who stop in to taste my food:) which I love, so I most often cut open a medium to large watermelon, chop into cubes, keep half to eat for my family and freeze the other half to make sorbet or slushies or freeze into watermelon ice cubes. Watch the short video below to see how easy it is to make tasty and healthy home-made sorbet.
Watermelon Sorbet in a Vitamix
- 1 Vitamix Blender
- 1 Vitamix Food Processor
- 3 cups frozen watermelon cubes (best to use seedless watermelon)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (this is optional, only if you want your sorbet very sweet)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (can use 1 tbsp lime juice as well)
- 1 pinch dried mint leaves
- Chop your watermelon into cubes and freeze in single layers in a container or ziplock bag for 4 to 6 hours or till completely frozen.
- Add frozen watermelon cubes into a high powered blender container such as the Vitamix, then add in the maple syrup if using, fresh lemon juice and dried mint leaves.
- Select variable 1 and turn on machine slowly increasing to the highest speed, push down the frozen cubes with the tamper till all the frozen cubes have broken down and you have a thick sorbet.You might need to stop the machine, open the blender and move the cubes around with the tamper, if the cubes are not breaking down. Then close the container and continue to blend for 45 seconds or so.
- Serve immediately in bowls toped with fresh mint leaves. You can also freeze your sorbet and use later, by allowing to thaw just for a few minutes before serving into ice cream cones or bowls.
- I also sometimes freeze some of the sorbet into ice cubes and serve with still or sparkling water. Very refreshing on a cold day.